Monday, March 21, 2011

Rango

            
            Rango was one of the most entertaining, interesting, and adult “children” films I have seen in a while.  The animation was grotesquely beautiful, and the story was completely engrossing.  I’d quickly recommend it to anyone of any age.
            While Rango was not a laugh riot, it did keep me chuckling most of the way through, especially with it’s humorous throwaway lines.  The focus in Rango was not on jokes, but on the story, and for that I am grateful.  I cared more about Rango and his friends more than I have cared about some live action characters in recent movies.  Things became especially intense when Rattlesnake Jake was introduced.  I felt a palpable danger every time he was on the screen.  This is in large part due to Bill Nighy’s terrific voice work.
            Like Paul, the other movie I saw this weekend, Rango rejoiced in referencing other films.  This was especially impressive as most of the references would fly over most children’s heads.  The adults in the audience however were treated with lines and images reminiscent of films like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Chinatown, Star Wars, Apocalypse Now, and many others.  These Easter Eggs provided extra entertainment in an already enjoyable film.
            The animation in Rango was incredible.  Every texture looked so realistic I couldn’t believe I was watching something produced from a computer.  The majority of the characters were hideously beautiful, like illustrations from a Shel Silverstein book.  I became excited every time a new character was introduced just so I could marvel at their grotesqueness. 
            One of my biggest pet peeves is when people assume that little kid movies have to be dumb.  Little kids aren’t idiots.  They can like good movies just as much as adults can. It irritates the hell out of me when movies pander to the audience in hopes of entertaining the children.  Fortunately, Rango respected the audience enough to present them with an intelligent, involved, and humorous story.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment